Public and community involvement, engagement and participation are at the heart of everything we do. Opportunities to get involved range from ARC board membership and advising on or carrying out research, to spreading the word about our findings and delivering training to our partners on the health and care frontline.
- Anyone is welcome to get involved – it doesn’t matter if you do not have any research experience
- If you work with us, we will support you so you can make the best contribution – and we can put you in touch with our current public contributors to help you settle in
- We work with a diverse community of people from different backgrounds and of all ages
What do we mean by 'public involvement.
We use our funder, the NIHR's, definition of public involvement:
“Public involvement in research is research carried out ‘with’ or ‘by’ members of the public rather than ‘to’, ‘about’ or ‘for’ them.”
Ways to get involved
- Our Research Advisory Panel meets throughout the year to review new research proposals and ensure these meet the needs of patients, service-users and the public
- Our Virtual Document Review Panel looks at materials such as consent forms and patient information sheets for ‘plain English’ and accessibility
- Our Academy programme includes patient and public partners in the design and delivery of teaching and training
- Individual ARC studies and projects recruit patients and members of the public to be part of the research team.
There are many other ways you and your community can get involved our work. For example by:
- Telling us about research topics and what’s important to patients and service-users
- Offering feedback as part of a project’s steering group or a public involvement group
- Helping to develop research materials such as information sheets for patients
- Conducting interviews with research participants
- Helping to share research findings and get research evidence into practice
- Designing and delivering teaching or training.
If you are interested in getting involved or would like to find out more, please email us at email@example.com.